Professor Jenny L. Davis is set to lead the 2019 NCAIS Summer Institute seminar, Revitalizing Indigenous Languages.
The seminar will run from Monday, July 8 – Friday, July 26, 2019 at the Newberry Library and examines Native American and Indigenous language endangerment and revitalization. Drawing on the Edward E. Ayer North and Middle American Indian Linguistics collection, the seminar will consider:
- the print history of Indigenous languages archival materials in language reclamation and maintenance
- the relationship of language to political and cultural revitalization
- endangerment & language realities
- narration & performance
- contemporary creative works
- kinship, gender, & sexuality
- land-based initiatives and environmental agency
- digital domains, media, & technology
For more information, see the Newberry Library.